3.31.2010

Don't Faint Laura, No More Fluid Bags!

I had an appointment with Dr, Nataranjan this morning at the Running Institute to inquire about how I can get up and running again. I took all winter off from running and after only 2 weeks of moderately getting back at it, I'm back at square one with my CCS (chronic compartment syndrome) symptoms. Since a 4th procedure isn't an option, I figured I should at least see a new sports med guy.  Poor Dr. N, he had no idea what he was dealing with when he stepped into his first appointment of the day. He said, "Dr. Ganter always sends me doosies," in reference to my primary who referred me to him. Thanks dude. He then put me through the same song and dance all the other sports med guys had me go through: walk to the end of the hall and back, rise up on your toes, your calves are really tight blah blah. Except this guy ran a few more PT-like tests and decided that I'm completely calf dominant and suffer from a Gastroc-Soleus Strain (technical term for tight calf muscles due to CCS).  Essentially, I use my calves like most people would use their glutes, hamis, quads. I put all the strain on my calves when I walk, run, do anything really.
Translation: back to more PT, but this time not only the crazy painful active release therapy (the technique with the dull blade that scraps across your skin to release muscle fibers), but also with a zero gravity treadmill (I've heard stories about these but have never seen one in person). Anyway, I'll try it out for a month and see how it goes. I have 1-hour sessions twice per week for the next 3 weeks (at 7:30am, yuck) so hopefully I'll be up and running like normal again in a month.
Just interesting...and beneficial to everyone reading this blog so you don't have to listen to me whine about my calf problems every day :-) I'm doing everything I can to avoid that 4th procedure and everything gross (fluid bags that gross out Laura) and horrible (ugly scars and bulging muscles that Katie makes fun of) that comes along with it.

1 comment:

  1. Zero gravity sounds WAY better than fluid bags...I still get queasy thinking about that.

    ReplyDelete